Thursday, June 28, 2007

Spelling & my day in the ghetto

It is nice to say that I (for once) feel totally confident and sure about my decision to come to C-bus and do this masters degree. This in spite of the fact that most people look at me like I have ten heads when I tell them that I am working on two masters at the same time. I get a lot of "so...what are you doing here?" when I tell them I am not teaching presently, that I am performing. Sigh.

But it is nice to be in classes where I am learning SOOOOO much and to feel like it all has a purpose. In my Educational Psychology class (taught by Torello who is possibly the most fun teacher I have ever had) we were talking about repressed emotions and learned helplessness. I was looking through some of my blogs noticing that I sometimes don't have the right word or I don't spell correctly. When I was a young gal in second grade, my dad tells me that some of my peers, while they were grading my spelling tests, would erase my correct answer and put wrong answers down. When my dad looked at my awful test, saw the handwriting and knew (having quizzed me and known what I knew) what must be going on, he had a chat with the teacher about the problem. She didn't seem concerned (bitch) and he used some choice words and she eventually cracked. Needless to say, I switched out of that school. But my point is, I have repressed that memory. I have very little recollection of my time at that school (apparently I played the drum there for a while...who knew? not me!) and I still detest spelling.

Anyway, I got to go past the Kroger on the other side of the tracks on Main St. today, and if you know Bexely you know that is ghetto land. It ended up being an ok experience when we went to the mental health facility for children today and I learned some tips for catering to those students who may have these problems. I am back home now and I have TONS of typing to do, but I wanted to catch up. Enjoy.

No comments: