Thursday, January 31, 2008

WAY TOO MUCH!

So I have been having trouble sleeping. It isn't that life is particularly hectic at the moment, more of a hectic year to come. There are two HUGE events that are going to be happening in the next 365 days or so that need careful thought and lots of planing.

ONE: My Master's recital.

TWO: My Wedding.

So I won't go into much detail about the wedding, you can just visit my other blog for that and know that it is on my mind.

The recital is another matter. I lay in bed and stare at the ceiling wondering what the heck I am going to do. Right now two of my selections have been cut due to another person singing them on her recital. Okay, one of the songs I just mentioned casually to the Lash who then told me, um, someone else is doing it.

But that isn't as upsetting as the first song. It was going to be a part of a beautiful set that I had planed and told her about IN OCTOBER!!!! But I realize that in the world of music politics, I am a rather quiet person that hasn't been favored since... The point is, even though the person who is now singing this piece just decided to do so last week, I cannot win this battle.

So, since this was the only fast song in the set, I have had had to cut two slow selections and find two faster pieces to "make it work". The worst part? It is the same person for both songs. Not that it is her fault, just really rotten luck on my part. Sigh.

Evan pointed out to me that I should do whatever I want, it is my recital and while I want my audience to enjoy it, it should be about what I want to perform and not too worry if they have heard the same song over and over again. But I do not enjoy being compared to other sopranos if I don't have to. Particually since I am not feeling so hot about my voice at the present moment.

Which brings me to my next point. I also lie in bed thinking "God, I hope that I can get everything together by May". The Lash also tells me that I cannot be too hard on myself and this attitude will get me nowhere. But, this isn't like a paper or a project or anything where if I put in a lot of time and brain power it will be beautiful. The voice is a funny thing. It takes years and years of careful practice just to get it almost right. And a cold, a break, a badly picked song can throw all of it off. And now I have no closer (for the reason, see above).

So this is where you come in my darling reader. Most of you are sopranos yourself (don't deny it) and probably have many ideas of what I can sing for my final piece. PLEASE SUGGEST!!! It would help me out greatly. Meanwhile I will pull a Stuart Smalley.

Because I'm good enough, I'm smart enough, and, doggonit, people like me!

No comments: