Thursday, January 10, 2008

Cancer

Even though I have about four post from before the New Year I feel like getting this out now.

I recall one meeting of Phi Beta (the co-ed fraternity I was in during undergrad) where we talked about this topic. The conclusion: Cancer sucks. And not only does it suck, it had affected many of our members. It was an emotional and memorable meeting that I still think about often.

Sometimes in life we ask God why. Why don't I have the job I wanted? Why did this relationship not work out? Why now? Why me? Why her? Why him? Why this?

I can't pretend to know the answers. The old saying "What does not kill us makes us stronger" might be true, but it doesn't help. The pain and the questions linger in our thoughts long after these events occur. It changes the person we are and how the world looks. It makes us numb and yet sorrowful.

With all the knowledge we have, why does this still plague us? There are so many mysteries.

But one thing that Phi Beta meeting taught me is that we are not alone. There are so many people in my life and the lives of my friends that keep praying and thinking and listening. And that is a comforting thought.

No comments: