Friday, March 7, 2008

Apples & Oranges...in the end we are all sopranos!

This week has been quite exhausting for me with the ice storm on Tuesday/Wednesday that made my poor Honda a car-cile. Oh yeah. Then there was several group rehearsals for my recital and of course two runs of the opera. I got home Thursday night and practically fell over.

So, I am at the point that I finally am in my own skin when it comes to singing. I am happy with how I sound and I don't feel the tension as much, though I am still having issues with posture. One step at a time. I also have had some AMAZING practices with my sax player, Nick, for my Laitman pieces. Those pieces are going to be HOT!

When it came time to do the opera, I was quite tired. But, being the good little solider I am, I did it. And, as usual, was not happy with it. The opening sits low at times and some of the entrances I have had limited times to do by myself that, after several weeks, I still feel unsure. So I felt like I pushed and forced some of the moments and overall was very unhappy. Plus, as much as I don't want to compare, Jessica (my counterpart!) was amazing as usual. Not that I begrudge her, it just made me beat myself up a little inside. While we are both sopranos, we are apples and oranges. I need to love my apple-ness, or orange-ness. Mostly, I have to stop being so hard on myself. Are we noticing a trend people?

Sigh.

Plus, this weekend C-land has been whooped by a HUGE amount of snow. I was going to go dress shopping with my mom tomorrow, but that isn't going to happen. I am bunkering down with my books to read the weekend away...I mean to study the weekend away. Did I mention I have two midterms on Monday??? Oye! Think of me darlings!

No comments: